Cloth diapers is an option you may want to consider for your newborn. If you’re feeling overwhelmed by all the cloth diapering choices, and you want a simple system, I’m going to give you my vote for the simplest cloth diapering system for a newborn.
- Invest in 24 small size prefold diapers and 6 water proof covers. They are readily available and you can buy them new or source them second hand on sites like eBay or Diaper Swappers.
- Snaps instead of velcro. Velcro might seem like an easier fastening system for your covers but in my experience it wears out quickly and tends to damage the diapers during the laundry process.
- One diaper pale with liner or two wet bags. These will hold your used diapers for laundry day. if you have two dozen diapers and 6 covers you should be running a diaper load every other day.
- Find a detergent that works. There are detergents out there that are designed just for cloth diapers that you may like. Find what works best for you and your family but I kept is simple and used Original Tide and never had a problem.
- Laundry Day and your washing machine. The general rule for cloth diapers is you want to do three things when washing them: rinse the diapers with no detergent, wash the diapers with detergent, rinse the diapers again and make sure all the detergent is out.
- You don’t have to cloth diaper 24/7. Using disposables from time to time, when life gets really busy and you need to cut out three loads of laundry a week, is fine. The cloth diaper police will not come knocking on your door. I promise.